Who wouldn’t love a map of their local area or that special place immortalised in a unique and intricate papercut artwork? See the streets where you used to play as a child or the local park you enjoy at the weekend, your favourite beach perhaps?
By commissioning a papercut street map, you will get to work on a one-to-one basis with Andrew as he creates an intricate design based on your chosen location and colours using his recognisable minimal and modern style
Every map is handcrafted by Andrew in his floating studio before being gift-wrapping, carefully packaged and shipped – all in the space of around 3 weeks from the design being signed off.
Typically covering an area of approximately 4 x 6km (OR 2.5 by 3.5 miles), one of Andrews maps will show all of the roads, railways and major footpaths in your chosen area. If you choose the multilayer style, the design will also incorporate all major water features and green spaces
Once your order has been placed, Andrew will endeavour to get in contact within two working days.
He will answer any questions and discuss your requirements before working with you to up with one or more design proposals that incorporate your target location.
Andrew will send you the proposed design(s) as an email attachment for review and approval. If either you or Andrew are not completely happy with the design, a full refund will be provided to the original payment method you used to make the purchase.
Once the final design has been agreed, Andrew will get to work with the painstaking work of creating the detailed cutting template and then cutting it in your chosen style and colours.
Andrew will clean, mount and frame your map to your requirements before carefully gift wrapping the finished artwork and shipping it to your chosen delivery address.
The papercut street maps will typically either be cut from single cut layer with a background (‘Duotone’) or from three cut layers with a background (‘Multilayer’). Occasionally, Andrew may propose more than three cut layers for a design but this is completely at his discretion!
All designs are cut from premium acid-free heavyweight card to ensure a long life
The card used measures 30cm x 40cm with the cut area measuring approximately 21cm x 30cm
Andrew cuts the maps using a laser cutting machine he custom built for the job, enabling him to offer these artworks at a price point that would otherwise not be possible. However, every piece is still painstakingly finished by hand using just a scalpel, fine brush and a needle.
- Unframed maps will be packaged in a clear cellophane envelope with a mount and backing board.
- As different techniques are available to frame papercut art (e.g. floating vs. mounted flat), we don’t secure the artwork to either the mount or backing board so that it ensures all framing options are available.
- To achieve the layered shadow/3D effect look as seen in our product listings & to ensure longevity we strongly recommend that each layer of card is sandwiched & between separated from the next layer by a 2mm sheet of Perspex or glass and the frame then sealed with framing tape.
- If taking this approach, we also recommend that you do NOT use anti-reflective/anti-glare materials as the spacing between the layers results in the anti-reflective material obscuring the fine details of the design
- Extreme care should be taken when handling the cut card as the designs are both delicate and may also contain a very small amount of soot on the cut edges which could smudge if rubbed.
Important: These artworks if properly cared for and protected should last a lifetime. They are designed to be framed and protected behind Perspex or Glass, leaving them exposed can result in a significant shortening of enjoyment!
- The artwork will be supplied mounted in a black frame measuring 43cm x 33cm x 3cm that is designed for wall hanging (Orientation dependent on the map design)
- We use a white single bevelled acid-free mount exposing approximately 29cm x 20cm of the cut card
- Duotone style designs have the cut layer mounted between two sheets of Perspex and then a spacer between that and the coloured backing card to maximise the shadow/3D effect
- Multilayer style designs have a protected front sheet of Perspex and then each layer of the design is separated by an additional sheet of Perspex to create the layered effect as seen in our listings.
Signed & dated orders
- In pencil, Andrew will note the location of the design (e.g. 'London E14' or ‘Bath’) before signing & dating your artwork in the bottom right-hand corner and number it (If a limited edition)
- These are produced works that contain information from OSM that is available here and made available under the Open Database License (ODbL)
- We use a scale of approximately 1: 20,000 as we found it provided the most visually pleasing effect
- As these are handmade to order please allow up to three weeks for delivery (Although we will endeavour to get your artwork to you sooner!)
- If you have an urgent artwork related emergency please get in contact with your requirements including desired timings and we will see what we can do
- All items will be well wrapped and packaged to minimise the risk of 'accidents' occurring in the post
- All deliveries will require a signature upon receipt
- UK deliveries typically take 2 - 3 business days and international deliveries 3 – 10 days.
- We ship to the UK select international destinations via express services, please get in contact if you would like to discuss shipping to other locations.
- International shipping charges (all orders delivered to an address outside the UK) DO NOT INCLUDE the applicable import duties or taxes that are due upon entry into the destination country. All duties and taxes are the responsibility of the customer, and must be paid at the time of delivery. Please contact your local customs office for more information.
Returns & Refunds
- As these goods are bespoke (Tailor-made to order) we are afraid that returns & refunds are not accepted once the design has been agreed and work on the cutting template has commenced.
- However, we will happily work with you to replace any goods that arrive in a damaged or faulty condition and do so free of charge
- Whilst we use top-quality acid-free and UV resistant materials in our goods, for maximum longevity please avoid hanging the goods in direct sunlight, areas with excess moisture or dampness (e.g. bathrooms) or places with varying levels of heat (e.g. directly above a fire or radiator)
- Perspex, as used in our framed products needs care when cleaning as it is possible to scratch it. Please clean by wiping with a dry lint free soft cloth or with a feather duster.
- See our FAQ for more general information
- Please feel free to get in contact if you still have any unanswered questions